Fall brings with it the changing of colors and beautiful landscapes. Eventually those bright leaves fall off the trees creating a fun play environment for children and pets. This also means a lot of necessary clean-up work which shouldn’t be skipped.
Why do you need to clean-up those leaves?
- Your grass and plants need sunlight to thrive. Leaving leaves on the lawn deprives them of this and will cause brown and/or dead patches.
- Similar to sunlight, oxygen is vital to the health of your lawn. Leaves on the lawn suffocate your grass plants.
- Moisture is trapped within the turf underneath the leaves which can create fungus issues.
What else is important in a final fall clean-up?
- Have your lawn mowed shorter than normal (around 3 inches). This will help to prevent fungus issues.
- Prevent snow and ice damage to your hedges and shrubs by trimming them one last time. It will also offer a neat winter appearance to your property.
- Eliminate the likelihood of pest issues by pruning dead wood or cross branches.
- Remove all leaves, branches, twigs and debris from lawn and planting beds.
- Help promote growth in the spring by “dead-heading” perennial flowers.
- Mulch should be turned and roughed up for a neat appearance and to eliminate any mold that may be setting in.
Promote healthy turf growth in the Spring by applying Fall fertilizer. A complete fall clean-up is the key to preparing your landscape for a long winters nap and ensuring that it awakes happy and healthy in the spring. Putting in the time or money for a proper fall clean-up will pay off come spring with a beautiful and healthy yard!
Call the experts, Advanced Property Contractors LLC at 585-943-9707, to schedule your complete fall clean-up.