When you require more living space or have a specific room need finishing the basement is a simple, cost-effective alternative to adding square footage to your house. And, since this is a uniquely quiet, private space that stays cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than above ground rooms it can be the best area for certain needs.
First, you must determine what the basement will be used for. Home office, guest room, media room, kids playroom, craft area, or in-law apartment, are some popular choices for your finished basement. Whatever your decision you should focus on a layout that adds convenience, organization, and function to your home.
The next step is planning and measuring. Having a reputable contractor, such as Advanced Property Contractors LLC, involved at this stage is important so measurements are accurate and the layout of can be designed with your plan in mind. Basements present challenges – small windows, low ceilings, structural columns, pipes, but with the right budget and contractor all can be overcome and transformed into assets.
Tips for Down Under:
- Maximize window area for emergency escape and maximum daylight.
- Use a lot of artificial lighting-a basement should be lit more heavily than above-grade areas.
- Replace existing main floor door leading to the basement with a French door for more light and safety (no swinging doors when walking upstairs).
- Add an emergency egress escape where no previous escape existed.
- Slightly shorten doors and jambs or use smaller moldings to make the ceiling seem higher and walls seem taller.
- Tile is the prime choice for low maintenance and durability. Also, unlike carpet, tile doesn’t hold moisture.
- Add a new separate heating zone with its own thermostat.
- An extra full bathroom is now considered a must.
Having a budget in mind and sticking to it is key, and your contractor can help you figure out how much everything will cost. Call Advanced Property Contractors LLC for your free basement remodel estimate today!